Thursday, September 15, 2005

December 04: Cuenca

(1) I decided to take a day trip to Ingapirca, Ecuador's best-preserved Incan ruins. Being one of the more interesting and accessible day-trips from Cuenca, you would think I could at least fain something that resembles excitement.

(2) Ingapirca. It's one of those things that once you are there you're not exactly sure what it is you are supposed to do. Behold, one of the great challenges of travel - discovering your role as an on-looker in the presence of something grand. I'd like to say that I spent the bus ride back to Cuenca pondering such ideas, but catching some serious shut-eye seemed to take a much higher priority.

(3) Colonial Cuenca was indeed a beautful city. In fact, it reminded me of Sevilla, Spain - one of my favorite cities in Europe. Pleasant and friendly, this was a place I would like to have had more opportunity to explore. However, with my limited time, I was eager to continue south the next day.

(4) Here is another image from Cuenca. On my final evening in town, I walked along the river and checked out the surrounding area. Cuenca seemed to be a fine place to live and visit - just as nice as Quito's old town, but without the bustle and smog.

Ecuador Home & Sidebar
Previous Day -- Next Day

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home